Friday, June 24, 2022

Faema Lambro restoration project 2

Happily the first Faema Lambro from earlier in this blog found a new happy owner. He later informed me that he further installed a low water level sensor and I have later learned that other Lambro users also added solenoid valves as well to go with such a "modern" approach. I have even seen user installing PID controllers plus sensors to replace the old school pressurestat. Apparently the latter will help you keep optimal pressure during your pre-infusion phase.

Anyway, after the first Lambro found a happy owner I went ahead and bought a new restauration project - yet another Lambro. 

This Lambro I estimate to be from around 1958-59 due to it's chromed brass panels and drip tray cover as opposed to the later stainless steel ditto. I new it was in worse shape than the first Lambro but it turned out to be a whole lot worse shape than I initially thought.

Here follows a number of pictures from before the refurbishment.





So I started taking the old thing apart.






It also turned out to be totally full for scale. I must have extracted about half a kilo scale by just shaking the boiler.





So I stripped the Lambro completely and put the boiler and pipes into a Sulfamic acid solution. It needed a whole week in the acid solution before it was reasonably free of scale.






Slowly started to assemble things again.



 Once I had an overview I could order new parts. 


Starting getting wiring tested.



New wiring setup




Finally firing up the old girl and checking for leaks.




And there you are.......as good as new.














No comments: